Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm not internationally known, but I'm known to rock a microphone...


OK I'm not really a rapper. Gotcha? Yes? No? Oh you already knew that?? Well the things blasting out of my radio/CD player while I cook and clean may be a surprise... ;)

But anyway! On to more important things... the reason I have old-school Rob Base in my head, for one.

Yesterday I started cleaning out ALL my recipe books because I actually have time to do this for the first time in years, and I'm putting them all on a kitchen bookshelf instead of hiding away in a cabinet.

So anyway, I found The. Most. Wonderful. Thing. Ever.

And it did not come from a fancy cookbook. Or a celebrity cookbook. Or a diet cookbook, cooking magazine, or subscription service.

It came from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension Service, circa 1987, in the form of a tall skinny bound cooking guide called "Homemade Master Mixes".
----->(see? Master Mixes... Master Mixer... Rob Base... well in my head at least, it makes perfect sense)--------

So anyway in this gem of a typed-up little book, there is a recipe for an ALL PURPOSE MASTER MIX. From this mix, which incorporates powdered milk and can be stored up to a month refrigerated, you can make just about anything. It's super. It's fantastic. I'm in baking heaven.
MUST SHARE THIS.
And not like I'm a 24-hour baker, but hey if it's convenient and I'm home, then sure, why not. Saves $ on pre-packaged snacks and desserts and makes the house smell nice, if nothing else.

I've tried the Coffee Cake last night, and the family was coming back for seconds, it was GOOD. See photo. So here is the recipe, and a few variations. Might want print and keep as this book is nowhere to be found anymore, pretty sure.

All Purpose Master Mix
9 cups flour
2 and 2/3 cups dry milk (I use skim)
1/3 cup baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
2 cups shortening (you can get 2 cups and more from a little rectangle of shortening)

Combine flour, dry milk, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir together. Cut in shortening (I use 2 butterknives) until the mixture is smooth. Store in airtight container. If lard is used, refrigerate and use within a month (i used Crisco but still refrigerated the mix). Makes 12 cups of Master mix.

So here's a few ways how you can use it:
Biscuits:
3 cups master mix
about 1/2 c water
Add water to mix, blend lightly with fok to form soft dough, turn on floured board, knead then roll or pat out to not less then 1/2 inch thick. Cut out circles and bake on cookie sheet about 450 for 10 min or so, good for shortcake too.

Pancakes:
1 1/2 c master mix
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 c water 1 egg, beaten
Blend mix and sugar. Stir water and egg into mix until blended. Drop batter onto hot greased griddle, cook one side till puffy and full of bubbles then flip and cook other side. Makes 12 pancakes.
Brownies:
1 cup amaster mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 egg
1/4 cup water
Grease 8-inch sq. pan. Measure 1 c master mix into bowl, add margarine and work it in with clean hands or fork. Mix in sugar and cocoa. Add the egg and water. Beat 25 times. Pour into greased pan. Bake 20 min. at 350.

Coffee Cake:
3 cups master mix
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
3/4 c water

Measure 3 cups master mix into bowl. Add sugar, stir well. In smaller bowl mix egg and water together. Add this to the flour mixture all at once. Mix till blended. Pour into greased 9 inch baking pan and sprinkle with topping.
Topping: 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour, mix well till fine and crumbly and sprinkle over cake.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 min.
This is SO good.

I figure, while I'm not working in the office due to medical leave, and therefore sort of a homemaker (due to not having any other choice at the moment), I'll try to make the best of it. Coffee cake makes the house smell like Fall, anyway.

Enjoy, folks. Warm wishes.

T




3 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Sounds great!!!

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Mmmmm! Definitely going to have to print this - love the smell of a houseful of baking!

Tinsie said...

Mmmm these recipes are making my mouth water! Too bad I'm on a diet :-(